Sunday, March 25, 2012

Stuff I forgot to say!

My previous post I was pretty zonked out, tired from the hike this morning, my allergic reaction, and Benadryl. So here's some more stuff.

Thursday morning before we did any work, the girls and I climbed the nameless mountain that is literally across the road from our house. We didn't get all the way to the top since the footing got really bad and we were slipping and sliding everywhere! But we did get pretty close. Whenever you hike here, little kids inevitably join up with you. So we had some kids join us, which is also good because they know where they're going and can function sort of like a tour guide as well as entertaining you.
Me on the hike.



It's like that when (on the rare occasion that I force myself to go) I go running. Little kids run along with you, laughing at you and imitating you. I ran down a huge hill once for like 20 minutes, so I decided I could power walk back up (it was almost like doing a stairmaster it was so steep!). This girl was walking behind me swinging her arms and panting hard (like me, I have a hard time up here since the altitude is so high it hurts to breathe when I run, it's like running in the winter when it's really cold and dry).

Just wanted to post some more pics too:


This is a pretty good sample of people at the clinic (picture is taken in front of the clinic itself!). And I'll even describe who they are and what they do.
Back row:
Anthony (health outreach coordinator - he oversees the community health educators (CHEs) and the community health groups. I think he also over sees the PEPs (patient education programs - they educate people about health issues/sanitation while they are waiting to be seen at the clinic),
Esther (one of our "house moms" she cooks and does laundry for us),
prisca (she works in the lab),
Rachel (this Rachel is Jackie's sister, she is currently volunteering at the clinic, but she is qualified to work station 4 like her sister, Jackie. She also did a lot of interpreting for the residents while they were here),
Mary (medical college of Wisconsin (MCW) resident),
Jackie (short for Jackline, she's super nice, works station 4 usually - dispensing medications, doing injections and any IVs. She sometimes also does station 2)
ME
Anthony (a CHE)
John (works station 1, takes temperature and weight, does basic triage, signs people in to be seen)

Front row:
Stephen (a CHE, also the chairman in the town)
Rachel (MCW resident)
Joshua (works station 5 doing exit interviews to make sure patients know what was wrong with them and why and how to take their medications and what they do. He also gives vaccinations on immunization days (mon and weds))
Patrick (assistant health outreach coordinator, very spirited guy! Certified trainer, he ran the VHT training sessions with me and doug)
Aidah (a CHE, also is training to be a house mom. This is important since her English is a lot better than Esther's so she is easier to communicate needs to. Very sweet woman)

Ground:
Lisa (American attending physician! Oversees the clinic and Me)
Sarah (another housemom, does a lot of cooking and stuff around the clinic as well)

Hopefully everyone feels like they know "my peeps" better now. These are the people I refer to most. For some reason Sam isn't in this picture, but he's a great guy, works mostly station 2 (vitals and can send patients either to lab, station 3, or station 4) and sometimes station 3 (fill patient exam, really what you probably think of when you think of seeing a doctor. The examination room)

Sweet deal. More pics:


Making chapatti last night at the Zaale's.



Me and Aidah (one of the Zaale's grandchildren who lives with them - there are three of these adorable little terrors running wild there!)

Talked to M&D on the phone tonight. They told me how Markel's parents asked after me in Columbus! Made me feel super cool and famous haha. I was also overjoying to get iMessages from Emily AND AMC telling me that Syracuse had lost this weekend! How glorious. This really is all for today. Will update on TOMS shoes on Tuesday most likely.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment